Senior Environmental Specialist (EHS) – MSD
Welcome to our team
Our Global Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) department provides safety and environmental support for our animal
health organization at the Boxmeer and De Bilt facilities (>2500 employees) in order to drive towards world-class EHS
performance. With around 15 employees, the department covers all the essential EHS expertise with a focus on Biorisk
Management, Industrial Hygiene and Environmental programs and permits.
Purpose of the role
Reporting to the Associate Director of Safety and Environment, the Senior Environmental Specialist is responsible for the
environmental compliance strategy. This position will be accountable for leading and driving further development and
implementation of our environmental management system, ensuring compliance with both regulatory and global company
requirements. You will also provide strategical environmental technical support for capital engineering projects and
operations whilst building and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with external consultants and governmental- and internal (local, regional and global) stakeholders throughout the organization
- Ensuring compliance with environmental regulatory requirements and applicable licenses and permits,
- Assuring completion of all regulatory submissions, notifications, etc. required to maintain compliance with European,
Dutch and local EHS requirements, including our own organizational standards;
- Monitoring and influencing local regulatory climate, negotiating and advocating with EHS agencies and external
- Developing guidance to site operations on the impact of new regulations and how to meet new requirements;
- Preparing environmental permit applications, including environmental reporting (Wabo, Waterwet, etc);
- Advising site management on the safe and environmentally sound operation of all processes;
- Communicating complex technical and regulatory information clearly and consistently to both senior-level site leaders
and shop floor colleagues;
- Investigating and reporting Environmental Incidents, including developing appropriate corrective and preventative
- Acting with considerable independence, ensure site-wide environmental compliance and performance and drive
personal ownership and accountability for all employees;
- Coaching site operations leaders to be visible EHS advocates in their areas of responsibility;
- Completing internal audits and self-assessments to monitor program effectiveness and developing
corrective/preventative actions to ensure continuous program improvements;
- Strong leadership in setting direction and expectations for environmental and safety requirements to capital project
- Leading and participating in a sub-system Community of Practice, shares knowledge (such as best practices, site
inspection experiences etc.) with other members of the community to drive continuous improvement on-site, regional
or global level;
- Leading improvement initiatives and complex problem investigations/improvement opportunities at the site level; to
systematically analyze and improve EHS related processes;
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health,
well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working
together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility
towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
- Bachelor’s/ Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences or related technical discipline (e.g Chemistry, Chemical
- At least 5 years of experience with complex licenses (e.g., IPPC, IED licenses), risk calculations, environmental
engineering and (system) implementation, preferably gained in the chemical or pharmaceutical industry;
- Strong stakeholder management and collaboration skills, ability to work transparently and with a sense of urgency across various businesses, functions and cultures;
- Result oriented, timely deliver on objectives within budgetary limits;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in Dutch and English;
- Available for at least 32 hours per week.
What we Offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development.
Our benefits are very competitive, and the summary below will give you an idea of what you can expect.
- Competitive salary and a 3% year-end allowance;
- 35,5 days of leave;
- Attractive collective health care insurance package with considerable reduction rates;
- Solid Pension Plan;
- Annual bonus based on own and company performance
- Company fitness;
- Travel allowance for commuting;
- Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job opportunities and development
Who are we
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an impact in all aspects of our business, enabling
breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit
and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The
fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our
colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity
employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
For more information about this vacancy, contact recruiter Jorrith +31 6 31968543