Reliability Engineer – DSM
DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
Royal DSM is a global, purpose-led, science-based company active in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable
Living. DSM’s purpose is to create brighter lives for all. DSM addresses with its products and solutions
some of the world’s biggest challenges while simultaneously creating economic, environmental and
societal value for all its stakeholders – customers, employees, shareholders, and society at large. DSM
delivers innovative solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical
devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated
companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The
company was founded in 1902 and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam. More information can be found
The Site DSM Engineering Materials Emmen produces the polymer Polyamide 6 (Nylon) based on
caprolactam in the PA6 plant. This polymer is used in textile and carpet yarns and for domestic, industrial
and electrical applications. Additionally, in the Compound plant, polymers for specific applications are
made based on five basic polymers. These polymers are made by adding colouring agents, reinforcing
agents, mold release agents, flame retardants or other additives, and are supplied under the name
Akulon, Arnite and Arnitel. DAP manufactures raw materials for both plants. The end products are then
packaged and prepared for shipment. There are high demands in the field of SHE: DSM achieves an
- Contributing to the desired availability of the plant in line with the business objectives by:
Defining an optimum PPM plan
- Analyze and update the PPM plans
- Identify and suggest improvement opportunities
Accountability and responsibility
- Establish the yearly maintenance budget proposal according to the defined DSM KPI’s
- Implement, execute and maintain IER-work processes (ME-6 Improve Equipment Reliability)
- Analysing the effects of work processes IER-prevent and IER-solve.
- Analysing and making reports of Plant Performance and Maintenance costs such as cost drivers,
forecasting, the total cost of ownership and performance killers
- Executing of RCA studies to find cause for reliability problems
- Leading Criticality Ranking and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) as chairman.
- Defining PPM plans at new technical installations (projects/CAPEX) or defining PPM plans at
changed circumstances related to the business strategy and manufacturing objectives.
- Defining PPM plans for legal and DSM standards e.g. DSM requirements and SCE-equipment
- Defining the spares for the preventive and corrective maintenance
- Analysing and optimizing of PPM plans based on Maintenance history, feedback, preventive
Maintenance and asset utilization data in order to realise the business need to drive availability and
reliability of equipment against the lowest integral costs. Improve with proposals through Improve
plant (ME75), Operate Plant Normal (14A) and the Maintenance Work Process (ME4).
- Improve with proposals for typical PPM plan solutions for logical groups of equipment.
- Preparation, implementation and evaluation of all maintenance, calibration and testing programs
for plants on periodical basis. Periodic analysis of the test results relating to optionally adjust
the test frequency or advise on replacement or take corrective actions on deviations
- Annually update the plant SPEC book and monitor compliance with the specifications laid down
for maintenance, modification or new construction.
- Preparing, maintaining and periodically reviewing instructions, procedures and documentation,
including substances sheets, for the own E & F work.
- Analyzing incidents within the own E & F organization and companies as well as the reporting of
these incidents and taking effective corrective measures.
- Continuously evaluate the SHE risks of the own department and systematical minimize these risks.
- Internal and external promotion of positive attitude to SHE through proper regulatory compliance
and proactively dealing with SHE, aimed at preventing unsafe situations. Identify unsafe situations
and arrange to improve actions where possible and necessary.
- Adopt and comply with the standards, practices and exercise requirements as described in the
management assurance system, the Occupational Safety Report and the various permits.
- Plays a supportive role towards Q for taking corrective actions when deviations are observed
during calibration, testing and inspections.
- Plays a supportive role towards Q on (cyclic) safety studies (RI & E’s, HAZOP, etc.) in
multidisciplinary teams. Organize safety and establish a proper inspection regime.
- Plays a supportive role towards Q on preparing, maintaining and periodically reviewing
instructions, procedures, descriptions, drawings and other documentation (e.g. VABA’s).
- Plays a supportive role towards Operations on (cyclic) safety studies (including PAGO’s, RI & E’s,
HAZOP, etc.) for all process equipment and utilities in multidisciplinary teams. Organize
protections in SIL classes, prepare VABA and prepare an adequate inspection regime
- Plays a supportive role towards Operations on ensuring that in future (temporary) changes the SHE
aspects are carefully tested by means of multidisciplinary teams.
Knowledge and education
- BSC+ level
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Good knowledge of the English and German languages is essential
- Desired Behaviours:
– Customer and external focus
– Innovate and change
– Engage people
– Drive for results
– Act responsibly
- Five to ten years experience in a plant maintenance environment
- Affinity with computer systems/automation
- Knowledge of SAP PM
- Proven experience in Critical Analysis and the FMEA process and improve loops and knowledge of
o Orientation on Result
o Orientation on quality
o Safe working
For more information about this vacancy, contact Managing Partner Albert Peters +31 6 28209882